Today, I would like for you to learn about an amazing musician, Yo-Yo Ma. Yo-Yo Ma is famous for his incredible talent of playing the cello. For the youngest kids, the cello is similar to a violin, except bigger. And if instruments are bigger, we know it will produce a lower sound. So the cello is a lower sound than a violin, and you actually have to sit down to play it as well!
Please listen to the mp3 interview of Yo-Yo Ma posted here, answer the questions below, and watch a few videos of Yo-Yo Ma.
(mp3 file is in this folder)
Activity: Now, answer these questions! The older kids can write out the answers. Younger kids can talk about them with their parent/guardian!
1. At what age did Yo-Yo Ma begin playing the cello?
2. Name one of the two schools Mr. Ma attended.
3. Was Yo-Yo Ma's family musical as well?
4. Where was Yo-Yo Ma born?
5. What other instrument did Yo-Yo play? Was he very good?
6. What was usual about the musicians he played with when he was 12 years old? What else did they do?!
7. What children's shows did Yo-Yo play with?
8. Yo-Yo Ma says music is very personal. What does he mean?